Monday, March 15, 2010

The Neighbor I Never Knew

As I was reading a particular entry in "American Hometown" for my English class, I suddenly realized something. I was reading about my own home. Not only the home I am living in now, but all the houses in my neighborhood. Darrell D. Donham was the man Roznowski was discussing in this part of his book. He built a home on 465 Barton Ave, just one block north of the home I've lived in all my life. Suddenly he began speaking of the homes one block south of that house, describing the walkways, porches, and layouts of the houses. He was describing my house to a tee! This intrigued me to see what house it was that Darrell Donham had built.



This wood frame house is still standing along with the detached garage Mr. Donham built to keep his pickup truck in that he wished so badly to have. Finding out that Darrell's son occupied this house until his death in 2006 makes me regret not meeting this man who lived so close to me, although I still feel priviliged that I now know the history behind this house that I've been driving past for 21 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment